Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Pin It

Zucchini and Carrot soup

So now that the zucchini is coming in daily I have been trying to make a new recipe each day using it. I also have kind of challenged myself to use only products I had in the house. Two reasons, the first being I was too lazy to go to the market this week and the second I want to try cutting back our grocery expenses by using mostly produce from our garden. Since the only thing ready to harvest is Zucchini, Lettuce and fresh herbs my options are quite slim. With that being said Friday was wet and gloomy and definitely soup weather. I scoured my cabinets and fridge for ideas of what to make and came up with the following items which ended up creating one of the tastiest, healthiest soups ever!

Zucchini Carrot Soup
3 medium sized zucchini from the garden
1 large onion
1/2 pound bag of carrots
Garlic cloves
Vegetable stock
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
fresh herbs included: Parsley, sage & thyme
olive oil
s/p to taste

Prep:
cut onion in half. Chop one half in big chunks. Dice carrots and add both to 3 quart pot. Add two cups of Veggie broth, fresh sage, thyme and salt and pepper. Heat covered until boiling and then lower heat and cook until carrots are tender. Transfer carrot mixture into a food processor (or blender) and puree. Poor back into pot and add 3/4 cup more veggie stock.
Dice the remaining half of the onion and zucchini. Heat in skillet with olive oil and s/p to taste. Heat until onion is clear and zucchini is softened. Add this to the pureed carrot mixture in pot.
Add can of diced tomatoes and cook until heated through and flavors combine. About 10 minutes.
I garnished the soup with the fresh parsley and a dash of Pecorino Romano cheese. I had Micah grab a baguette on his way home from work and wahlaa! A fabulous super easy and super yummy soup.

Enjoy!

No comments: