Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Pin It

Mondays Maid Simple:Musty Towels must die!

Ok so I did it again. I washed a load of towels after dinner Saturday night only to remember about them on the way home from church on Sunday! Of course they reeked of mildew and I was beyond frustrated. This has happened three times since I have had Vernon and I am a total freak about this type of thing because I can't stand the smell of musty anything and who does really? So instead of my normal routine of running it through the wash again with detergent I instead grabbed my white vinegar and poured about two cups of that in there with NO detergent. Then after that wash cycle ended I checked them to see that the smell was gone! So I ran it again but as a regular load with detergent and voila it totally worked! Fresh clean towels again. I went online to check this out and sure enough vinegar is used to remove mildew smell from towels, so yay! Soooo if any of you happen to have this problem in the near future here is just one more use for that awesome white vinegar you have sitting in the cupboard left over from dying Easter Eggs!
I also read that adding 1 cup of baking soda to the wash will do the trick as well so I might try that next time after I stock up on baking soda of course, plus I really hope there isn't a next time. Musty Towels are the worst!




4 comments:

shannon said...

great post, i cant tell you how often this happens to me in the summer.

Kristi and Ken said...

I forget to put the towels in the dryer ALL THE TIME!!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

DawnaHartman said...

This is so crazy. This just happened to me TODAY. Opened up the washer, and bleh....towels that had been in there for who-knows-how long. Ugh. Thanks for the tip!

Alex said...

Thanks so much for this. I will try this as the same thing happens to me every now and then . Big big help. Now it almost feels like i can't wait to forget my laundry :D