Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Pin It

Hot Mess

You've heard this right? Or have said it about yourself more than once. 
as in, "I'm a hot mess"

I used to say this phrase often in the past and truly believed that I was just that...a Hot Mess.
I felt inadequate as a wife, mama, friend and most importantly as a daughter of the King. 
When days seemed long or hard especially in a new house, with a new baby and toddler who just had her world turned upside down with all the newness as well, I felt like I never had it together and was an emotional basket case most days.

Then one day while saying these exact words to someone who ultimately helped change my life and my perspective on things says to me, 
"Nat, you are amazing, the world is a mess"

I didn't respond right away and just continued to let the tears that were already flowing fall down my cheeks.
I had to mull this over.

She could tell that I wasn't accepting it and said it again.

But this time she took my hand, looked me in the eye and said
"You ARE amazing, the world is a mess."

but she didn't stop there. She reminded me of what scripture says and what God thinks of me. 

You are a chosen (woman), a royal priesthood, a holy (daughter), a (woman) belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of HIM who has called you out of the darkness into His wonderful light" 
1 Peter 2:9

"I am complete in Christ."
Colossians 2:9-10

I am God's workmanship
Ephesians 2:10

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."
Colossians 3:12

"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast."
1 Peter 5:10


She reminded me we have an enemy, who has no truth in him, who is the father of lies.(John 8:44)
Satan loves when we believe those deceptions and fall into the confusion of feeling inadequate and insecure.

This was all during a time where I was at my lowest, my darkest days, when God was all I had and finally understood He was all I needed. I started to discover who I was in Christ and what my value and worth was in Him for the first time. The promises of God's loving embrace holding me up during that time and realizing that He chose me was the affirmation I needed and only thing I could hold onto. 

Covering my lies with His Truths saved my soul.

And so for those of you who emailed me about this piece from yesterday's post, this is where it originated from.
I had this written on the outside of my journal, on post it notes taped to my computer screen and mirrors.
All of my first creations were inspired from scripture, hymns or affirmations I was clinging to during the most difficult time in my life. That is probably why the hymnal line is so near and dear to my heart.

over time God not only renewed my spirit but removed all those lies and insecurities filling up in my mind which ultimately lead to the reframing of how I see myself in HIM. Which is so, so loved. And though I know I am underserving of His great Love, scripture tells me that He does.

"The more you reaffirm who you are in Christ, the more your behavior (and beliefs) will begin to reflect your true identity!" 
Dr. Neil T. Anderson.


9 comments:

Aubrey said...

I love this so much. I often do think Hot mess. This is jut perfect really, really.

Anonymous said...

I found you via rustic living and I am so glad! The Lord has brought me to your blog! what an encouragement to read about you going through the same things I do! Thank you for sharing your life <3

vintage grey said...

Beautiful post, and such truth Natalie. Thanks for sharing.I needed to hear this today!! Have a blessed day! xo Heather

Leah said...

thank you for this encouragement! love your blog :)

the hollie rogue said...

love love!

kristin said...

i love your blog natalie. thank you for being honest and the truth that you speak. you are encouraging and i have found myself coming to your blog to read your Godly insights. may you be richly blessed for your obedience! xo

Kim said...

I'm in tears and the Lord used this lesson for me as well today. Thanks for this sweet truth. I didn't necessarily need to hear that I'm amazing but just that the Lord treasures me. Sigh. So good.

Emily E said...

Thanks for this post! This scripture was exactly what I needed to be reminded of who I am in Christ.

Lissa @ her + him said...

fantastic post, natalie. i have heard SO MANY fantastic things about your blog and it certainly is lovely. am so excited to follow along! xo