Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Pin It

Cross Country Cookin': Mushroom Rice Bake

This weeks recipe was a side dish. I'm not going to lie, when Jenn sent me the list of ingredients I was a little apprehensive. There were two items I had never used, with one being something I had never even heard of. The first item was canned mushrooms. I have never used them and the sight of them floating in that jar freaked me out. The second item was Beef Consomme. I called her and asked if that was just a fancier term for beef broth and she informed me that it was actually called "CONSOMME" and could be found in the soup aisle. Low and behold, right smack in the middle of the other well known Campbell's soups was this foreign flavor which I'm embarrassed to admit I'd never noticed or heard of. I was thrilled to find it, thinking it was something I could not find in the standard grocery store. Haha, silly me. Needless to say the dish was delish and extremely simple.
MUSHROOM RICE BAKE

3/4 stick butter
1 medium onion (chopped fine)
1 cup uncooked rice (*I used brown rice)
2 cans undiluted Beef Consomme
2 (3 oz.) cans whole mushrooms
1/2 tsp salt

Prep: Melt butter in skillet; add onion and saute until transparent. Add rice and salt. Stir well until rice is yellow. Pour into 1.5 to 2 quart casserole dish and add Beef Consomme and mushrooms (with liquid).
Cover and bake in 325 degree oven for an hour or until rice is puffed and tender. *If using brown rice adjust time to 1 hour and 30 min.
Micah and I thought this was very flavorful and yummy enough for another helping but both agreed on how we would make it the next time around. Instead of butter I will saute onions in a Tbls. of olive oil along with fresh mushrooms, eliminating the canned mushrooms and salt. We ate it with rosemary chicken and asparagus but felt it would've complimented a ribeye topped with blue cheese crumbles and a mixed green salad even better. Now doesn't that sound divine. Hope I've tickled your taste buds and you have already adjusted your grocery list to make this recipe yourself. Enjoy!
Remember to check out Jenn's blog to see what recipe I sent her.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

I agree with the ribeye and figured you would drop the butter and use fresh mushrooms :) glad you liked it.

Flowerchic said...

How about if you pan fry your steak with a little olive oil add butter to your skillet "goodies" after your steak is done. Then saute your fresh mushrooms and onions before adding to your beef consomme? I would also add 1 smashed garlic clove to my rice and consomme while cooking.

Flowerchic